There’s no doubt that there are a lot of things to do in Marion, NC. Located right on the edge of Lake James and the Blue Ridge Mountains as a backdrop, it’s easy to see why it’s such a popular destination. But what many people don’t know is that there’s more to do in Marion than admire the scenery. There are plenty of activities to keep you busy and out of trouble!
Table of Contents
The climate of Marion, North Carolina
Marion is located in North Carolina and has a humid subtropical climate. The city experiences all four seasons, with hot, humid summers and mild winters. It also receives a fair amount of rainfall each year. July is the hottest month, with an average high temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit (34 degrees Celsius). January is the coldest month of the year, with an average low temperature of 27 degrees Fahrenheit (-3 degrees Celsius).
5 Reasons Why You Should Visit Marion, NC
1. Marion is a beautiful town with plenty of nature to enjoy. Whether you’re hiking, biking, horseback riding, boating, fishing, or swimming in the lake, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in Marion.
2. The town has plenty of restaurants for dining and a movie theater for movie lovers. The historic old mill also provides much history and beauty to the area.
3. Marion is a great place to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. With plenty of parks and nature centers to explore, you can easily spend a day or two relaxing in Marion.
4. Marion is an excellent place for families. There are plenty of things for both kids and adults to explore. Marion is also very pet-friendly, so you can bring your furry friend when you visit Marion!
5. Marion is a perfect day trip for individuals who live in the surrounding areas of Marion, including Raleigh and Wilmington. Whether it’s to take in the historic old mill or go boating on Lake Marion, Marion has plenty of activities to do for a day trip.
15 Things to Do in Marion, NC
1. Get Lost in the Linville Caverns
If you’re looking for a fun activity that the whole family can enjoy, then be sure to visit Linville Caverns. These caverns are some of the most popular in North Carolina and offer a unique experience that you won’t find anywhere else. You’ll get to see a variety of formations, including stalactites, stalagmites, and columns, as well as learn about the history of the area. It’s an adventure you won’t want to miss!
2. Visit Sweet Betsy Farm for Fresh Produce
Sweet Betsy Farm is a family-owned and operated farm located in Marion, NC. They offer a variety of activities for people of all ages, including:
– Pick Your Berries: You can pick your blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries from the farm.
– Farm Tours: Take a guided tour of the farm and learn about how they grow their produce and raise their animals.
– Play Area: The play area is perfect for kids, with various attractions, including a petting zoo, corn maze, tire swings, and more.
– Country Store: The country store offers fresh produce, jams, jellies, baked goods, and more.
3. Plunge into the Thrill Catawba River
If you’re looking for a fun and active way to spend the day, then be sure to check out Catawba River Outdoors. This outdoor adventure company offers a variety of activities, including:
- Whitewater Rafting: Experience the excitement of rafting down the Catawba River.
- Zip Lining: Fly through the trees on this thrilling zip line course.
- Hiking: Explore the trails that wind through the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Kayaking: Paddle your way down the river and take in all the sights and sounds.
No matter your age or experience level, Catawba River Outdoors has something for you!
4. Ride your Stresses Away at Greenway Bike Trail
The Greenway Bike Trail is a popular Marion, NC attraction. This 12-mile trail winds through the city and offers beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and lake. It’s the perfect place for a leisurely bike ride, walk or run, and is a great way to get some exercise and enjoy nature.
5. Become a Fisherman at Buck Creek Trout Farm
If you’re looking for a fun and unique fishing experience, be sure to check out Buck Creek Trout Farm. This farm offers a variety of trout fishing options, including:
- Catch and Release Fishing: You can catch and release as many fish as you like.
- All You Can Eat Fishing: You can catch and keep as many fish as you want, and they’ll all be served up for you to eat.
- Rainbow Trout Fishing: This is the most popular option, and you’ll get to catch some of the prettiest trout around.
6. Appreciate Nineteenth-Century Architecture at the Historic Carson House
The Historic Carson House is a famous Marion, NC attraction. This beautiful house was built in 1892 and offered a glimpse into the life of a wealthy family from the late 1800s. The house is open for tours year-round and is a must-see for anyone interested in history or architecture.
7. Play a Pro at Linville Falls Golf Club
Linville Falls Golf Club is a beautiful 18-hole golf course located in Marion, NC. The course features rolling hills and pristine forests, providing a challenging and scenic experience for golfers of all levels. The club also offers a variety of amenities, including:
- Golf Lessons: Learn the basics or improve your game with one of the club’s experienced instructors.
- Driving Range: Practice your swing at the driving range, which features grass and artificial turf tees.
- Clubhouse: Relax after your round in the clubhouse, which offers a variety of food and drink options.
- Pro Shop: Get all the gear you need to take your game to the next level at the pro shop.
8. Fall in Love with Mica Town Brewing’s World-Class Beers
Mica Town Brewing is Marion’s first and only brewery. They offer a wide variety of beers, ciders, and meads. The taproom is open Thursday-Saturday, and they also do tours on Saturdays. In addition to the regular line-up, they also have a rotating seasonal menu with various flavors. They often have food trucks parked outside the brewery, or you can order food delivery to the taproom. Mica Town Brewing is a must-visit for any beer lover!
9. Shop for Unbeatable Dairy Products at English Farmstead Cheese
English Farmstead Cheese provides a unique and interactive experience for cheese lovers of all levels. The farmstead cheese shop is located in Marion, North Carolina, and offers samples of the many different kinds of cheese they produce. You can also purchase cheese, wine, and other local products at the shop. The staff is knowledgeable and passionate about their products, so they are an excellent resource for learning about and tasting cheese.
10. Shop for Collectibles at Vintage Market
If you’re looking for a unique shopping experience, Marion’s Vintage Market is the place for you. The market is open every Saturday from 9 am to 4 pm and offers a variety of vintage and handmade items. You can find everything from clothes and jewelry to furniture and home decor. The market is also a great place to find unique gifts for any occasion. The vendors are friendly and always willing to help you find what you’re looking for.
11. Dine and Sample Amazing Cocktails at Refinery
Refinery 13 is a popular bar and restaurant in Marion that offers diners a unique interactive experience. The menu features southern-inspired cuisine, craft cocktails, and local beers. The restaurant also has a patio that overlooks Marion’s Main Street, so you can enjoy the sights and sounds of the town while you eat. The staff is knowledgeable and passionate about their food, and they are always happy to help you find something to your liking.
12. Marvel at Golden History at Lucky Strike Gold and Gem Mine
The Lucky Strike Gold and Gem Mine is a must-see attraction in Marion, NC. The mine offers visitors the chance to explore and learn about the history of gold mining in North Carolina. You can pan for gold, dig for gems, and explore the many tunnels of the mine. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and they are always happy to answer any questions you have about the mine. The mine is an excellent place for families, students, and anyone who wants to learn more about gold mining in North Carolina.
13. Experience the Sweetness of Keepers Cut Meadery
At Keepers Cut Meadery, you can sample a variety of meads made with honey, fruits, and spices. The meads are made in small batches and are always fresh. The staff is knowledgeable and passionate about their meads, and they are always happy to answer any questions you have. A meadery is an excellent place for families, students, and anyone who wants to learn more about mead.
14. Buy Gifts at McDowell Arts Council Association Gallery Gift Shop
The McDowell Arts Council Association Gallery Gift Shop is a great place to find unique gifts for any occasion. The shop offers a variety of art prints, pottery, jewelry, and other handmade items. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and they are always happy to help you find what you’re looking for. The gift shop is an excellent place for families, students, and anyone who wants to learn more about the arts.
15. Bowl and Play at Lighting Lanes
Lighting Lanes is an arcade and bowling alley located in Marion, NC. It offers a variety of games and activities for people of all ages, including ten-pin and candlepin bowling, laser tag, arcade games, and pool tables. They also have a full-service restaurant and bar on-site, as well as a pro shop for all your bowling needs. Whether you’re looking for some family fun or a night out with friends, Lighting Lanes is the place to be!
Conclusion on the best things to do in Marion, NC
Marion is a town in North Carolina that offers plenty of things to do for people of all ages. You can go hiking, biking, horseback riding, boating, fishing, and swimming in the lake. The town has plenty of restaurants for dining and a movie theater for movie lovers.
The historic old mill also provides much history and beauty to the area. And if you’re looking for something more interactive or hands-on, you can visit the local nature center or relax at one of the many parks in the city.
These are just a few of the many things to do in Marion, NC!
If you’re looking for another great destination, we recommend checking our list of things to do in Miles City, Montana.